Wednesday, November 01, 2006

A Statement from Massachusetts



From the Office of William Joseph "Bill" Buckner:

As a baseball veteran, I want to make it clear to anyone in a Red Sox uniform and to their loved ones: my poorly-played grounder at first base on October 25, 1986 was not about, and never intended to refer to any Red Sox fan.

I sincerely regret that my booting of a routine grounder misinterpreted to wrongly imply anything about there having to be a Game 7 in 1986, which we lost, and I personally apologize to any teammate, Red Sox fan, or American who was offended.

It is clear the New York Yankee fans would rather talk about anything but their failed postseason this year. I don’t want my fielding slip to be a diversion from the real issues. I will continue to fight for a change of glove to provide real defensive play for the 1986 Red Sox, and a winning strategy for our baseball club.


You know, if verbal gaffes "don't count" anymore, who's going to tell Trent Lott and George Allen?

No comments: